Thursday, October 24, 2013

Hard Battles



I've heard it, too. "Be kind because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of a hard battle." I'm not sure I've really thought about that until I was the one fighting a really hard battle. I craved for people to be  kind to me. I was beat up. My family was, too. To be honest, however, when I was well past said battle and before another started, I forgot some times that every one else was fighting a battle. It takes a very present way of thinking to realize that every one you meet, especially the grumpy ones, or the checker at the grocery who never smiles, or the crazy, tattooed person in the church parking lot smoking who I forget loves Jesus like I do, or my husband who comes home grumpy with a head ache, or even my teenager and tween-ager who are going through the tough season of deciding just exactly who she is going to be, or I could go on and on, is fighting a battle. It might be physical. It might be emotional. It might be financial. It might be spiritual. Those seem hardest and they seem to accompany one of the others. I'm thinking we are all fighting spiritual battles since the Word says, "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." (1 Peter 5:8) 
 
Lord God, open my eyes and my heart to show tenderness and not be defensive and assume I am always right or that I even have to be right. You are. Open my eyes to the folks who are fighting hard battles, who are hurting, and use me to love on them like You would. You are gentle and understanding and loving and You show grace. Grace. Grace. Something I'm needing lots of myself. Amen and Amen.

No comments: