Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Rainbow

I am always awed by the many ways that God speaks to His children. It seems there are no two ways exactly the same and that makes sense because He created us all different. On Saturday, there was a beautiful rainbow in the sky. Madison spied it and called us all outside. It was full and brilliant in color. God has used rainbows to speak to Madison. He spoke to her specifically about her Daddy two years ago on October 18, 2006, when she saw a rainbow at her Grannie’s house. It was tucked half in the rain and half in the sunshine. I said, “Look girls, God put a rainbow in the sky to say that He loves us.” She said, “No Mommy, it’s a sign that God is fixing my Daddy.” God showed it to her again on May 4, 2007, on the way home from Six Flags … reassurance of a promise. “Mom, I wish I could see a rainbow again. You know, like we saw at Grannies?” “Do you remember what it means?” “Yes.” “Well, let’s pray for one.” I kid you not, there was a brilliant, beautiful, double rainbow in the sky as soon as we finished praying. There was a third one on October 8, 2007, my birthday, when I had to put my kitty to sleep … on a day that looked somewhat dreary, but where there was a keen sense that God was about to rock our lives with His miracle come to fruition. A fourth on the way to Hermitage on July 17, 2008. Brian pointed it out … a reminder that God is with us in this restoration and reknitting our hearts together. Then, a miniature one on the way home from Cousin Camp, July 21, 2008. Madison noticed it. She is a rainbow seeker. She grabbed the camera and took a bunch of pictures of it. And then, last Saturday, August 23rd, ... the one that prompted this post. A beautiful rainbow. This incredible symbol of hope. This sign that God has been faithful to our family … actually to all of us. This sign that he wouldn’t destroy the earth by water again, that He uses to reveal His incredible love for us.

“Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was
the radiance around him. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking.” Ezekiel 1:28

Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:16

I am so thankful that God speaks to us. That He uses incredible things, like rainbows, to show His glory and His majesty and His faithfulness. I am thankful for eyes to see and a heart that knows it is Him speaking. I am thankful that, in our lives, it is a symbol of faith in a daughters’ heart. I am thankful that a heart for the Father is growing in Madison and Peyton … and Brian and I. Thank you Father for eyes that see You!

1 comment:

Julie said...

What a beautiful post about a incredible God and His faithfulness to you and yours. Rainbows are a miracle and it appears he was constantly reminding you of the miracle in the making.